LIVE Colour XXL Shake It Up Colour Foam

Before I start I’d just like to apologise for the inconsistency of these photographs! My Nikon D40 has decided to die a little bit so the flash doesn’t work!
So, I’ve been dying my hair every tone of Red you could imagine for around 10 years now, my hair is a naturally grim dark blonde tone and I haven’t seen it in its natural shade since Year 7.
Open to new ways to dye my hair Red I saw the new LIVE Colour XXL Shake It Up Colour Foam…..
I chose colour 488 ‘Cranberry Kick’ as it looked like the most vibrant red in the series. As you can see…. My roots have come through quite nicely(*cough) over the last few weeks and I have totally neglected to dye it for a while, although saying that the previous red has stuck in my hair quite well thus far…
So, the dye comes in a rather ‘fun’ little Shaker Maker cup….
 It reminds me a bit of ‘squishies’ off the simpsons….
 Although it has the simple instructions on the side of the tub a more detailed instruction leaflet is inside along with all the usual hair dye potions….The cup smelt really fruity, like they’d put the smell in the cup rather than the product itself.
 The main difference is this dye has a liquid and a powder which is something I’ve not come across before unless it’s been a bleach dye. So this was something a bit ‘new’….
 It’s really simple, you just pour it all in the cup and replace the lid. You then ‘shake vigorously 40 times’…. I shook a little more than 40 times as the mixture didn’t appear to be mixing very well….
It’s a bit scary really, I mean if that lid came off at any point during this shaking process I imagine it would look like a bit of a massacre….luckily that did not occur.
 The foam seemed a lot runnier than I was expecting. The cup was also very full so make sure you open it up again over a sink/bath as I’d imagine it would be very easy to get this everywhere…. When I was applying the dye I also noticed big blobs of powder in the foam which hadn’t mixed in properly…
The application process is pretty simple, you just rub it throughout your hair until its all covered. That seems to be the only part of this that is any better than regular dyes. It’s really easy just to slosh it all in…. However, it’s also very easy to make a proper mess of it! I got way more on the bathroom floor than usual. You leave it on for 30 minutes and wash out as usual….
As you can see it’s come out a really even colour but not anywhere near as red as it claimed on the box (it never ever does though!!)
It also didn’t leave my hair with that ‘just dyed’ feeling, it felt a little dry to be honest but maybe that was subliminal because of the powder in the mixture. And also it seemed to remain a bit greasy. Very strange texture really.
Really I don’t see how these new foam dyes are any better than regular dyes and unless they’re on offer again (this was £3.99 instead of £5.99 from Boots) then I probably wont be buying it again. To be honest I think the whole foam hair dye thing is a bit of a fad…. Oh well, it’s done my roots and thats all I was after anyway haha.
Thanks for reading!

1. Anonymous
    January 8, 2013 / 9:09 pm

ive recently used a xxl foam dye but it was the red berry one, at first it was really good didnt make to much mess and the colour is fab but everytime i have a shower the colour runs, is there anything i can use to stop it? i use treseme colour therapy shampoo and conditioner but i doesnt help stop it runnin. i wanted to start swimming again next week but worrired i wont be able to.

2. November 14, 2012 / 9:42 pm

I agree! The foam dyes are really weird…there was nothing wrong with the regular box dyes in the first place! Have you tried the new semi-perm. dyes by Shwartzkopf…I'm intrigued by the Raspberry Rebel one…

Lauren x | The Teapot Blog

3. Anonymous
    June 11, 2012 / 11:15 am

i have a question…can i use just half of the products inside the box(dye etc)and use the rest of them later??

4. April 9, 2012 / 8:31 am

Whats the best foam hair dye?! I want to dye my hair but every hair dye i use is either makes my hair ho ginger golden i just want Lighter colour!! Ive ised nice&easy foam it was liquid…might try livexxl ive used it previsly in the box product but the colour fades!:( using head and shoulders strips your hair,so is it okay to use head and shoulders highlighs which britens your hair?! Thanks for all the comments and info really helped for future refernces!:)

• April 9, 2012 / 10:37 am

Hiya, I'd probably avoid head and shoulders at all costs really. Try a different shampoo and conditioner and maybe a scalp treatment separetely if you have dandruff. I found that once I used head and shoulders even though I've NEVER had dandruff but it developed when I'd stopped using it!! So even if it gets worse after it should get better, Lush do a snake oil scalp bar thing which might help…
      Try the Nutrisse Foam dye I've reviewed somewhere else on my blog, lasts longer and made my hair so silky for a few weeks after.

5. March 5, 2012 / 9:48 pm

I've managed quite well with foam hair dyes – I've found them so much easier to apply than the normal ones and they always work really well. I've used the Clairol Nice 'n' Easy one, John Frieda Precision and Loreal Sublime Mousse and they've all been brilliant! Maybe that's the difference between blonde and red hair dyes though – hmm! I've never gone for this one though as the blonde one just isn't light enough… Don't give up on the foam just yet 😀

6. Anonymous
    February 6, 2012 / 8:17 pm

Hey, did you only need to use one foam hair dye? or 2? x

• February 6, 2012 / 8:59 pm

Just the one, there's quite a lot in the tub and it goes further – more than a regular dye.

7. January 4, 2012 / 12:03 am

Oh yeah Vosene would defo strip the colour quicker! I think its more important to use a colour protecting shampoo than conditioner as the shampoo CLEANS the hair and conditioner PROTECTS it so if you have a specific hair woe you want a specific product for then use the conditioner rather than the shampoo version of it if that makes sense! Or every other wash perhaps.

8. Anonymous
    January 3, 2012 / 11:55 pm

Thanks Terri, I think it was the shampoo I used that stripped the colour, I used Vosene then colour conditioner, I got another colour its a bit darker but will do for now and I'll use proper colour shampoo in future

9. December 29, 2011 / 11:58 pm

Hey!I think the packaging is confusing and as far as I gather they only do permanent ones in the foams, for a min when I was doing mine I thought it said it was semi permanent but its not. Red hair does fade REALLY quickly, I use La Riche Directions inbetween dying to refresh the red and also avoid shampoos like head and shoulders because they strip the colour too!

• April 9, 2012 / 8:25 am

Thanks for the infomation really helped!;) want to go buy some foam hair dye i brought some nice&easy foam and it was just liquid?! Ive used live as a box product and mostly it comes out fine but sometimes im left with gingery/gold in my hair..haha i use head&sholders..not realising it strips tour hair but they have a new one called 'hair highlighter' think it just britens it back? Is it okay to use that?:£

10. Anonymous
    December 29, 2011 / 11:47 pm

I used this colour just before xmas and I loved it but on my first wash afterwards the colour has started to come out so I now have blonde bits showing but I thought it said permanent but checked and it also says washes out so I'm now confused and also have to buy another colour

11. December 21, 2011 / 10:24 pm

Hahaha you're quite welcome 🙂

12. December 20, 2011 / 9:17 pm

Hi! I enjoyed this blog post, keep it up! Came in useful as my boyfriend lost the instructions to the foam!

13. December 8, 2011 / 1:03 pm

Thank you 🙂 yeah it is a bit smoothie like! Wouldn't like to try it though, yack! >_<
    x

14. December 7, 2011 / 10:33 pm

it looked a little bit like an orange smoothie at one point. haha! it made you're hair look really pretty though(: ckeck out my blog if you'd like xx

15. December 6, 2011 / 9:50 pm

Thanks Alex! I do like having red hair! I vary the tone slightly now and again but tend to stick to this kind of shade 🙂

16. December 6, 2011 / 9:39 pm

It's a great colour tho and suits you perfectly. I love red hair!! 🙂

17. December 6, 2011 / 7:30 pm

I know! I really don't understand how they say its mess free! Luckily it didn't stain the laminate floor! Like I said, I'll get it if its on offer again but in future I'll stick to the regular Live colours I think.

18. @__PlainJane__
    December 6, 2011 / 7:24 pm

I've tried a few of the foam dyes now and although I don't seem to make as much mess on my face and neck I found the same as you – it coated the bathroom.
    Back to the good old fashioned bottles for me, foam is a great gimmick but still messy.