Things I do that you probably think I shouldn’t.
1. Swearing – I know a lot of people find swearing a massive bug bear and sometimes deem it the most offensive thing a person can do. But I’d like to know why. I mean, they are but words after all? Some people claim it to be a sign of low intelligence but how can words that have been added to your vocabulary mean you are dim? Surely it is the opposite as you have broadened the words used to express yourself. And that’s what swearing is mainly used for; a form of expression. I think having an argument and getting all in someone’s face for being a plonker would seem a lot less expressive if you called them a…. plonker. As Steven Fry says ”Swearing is a really important part of one’s life. It would be impossible to imagine going through life without swearing and without enjoying swearing… There used to be mad, silly, prissy people who used to say swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary -such utter nonsense. The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies and the kind of person who says swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary usually have a pretty poor vocabulary themselves… The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest or -is just a fucking lunatic…” SO go ahead, express yourself, it shows you have a personality, emotion and give a fuck about what you are saying!
2. Being Opinionated – If everyone had the same opinion life would be pretty boring. I suppose it’s not a faux pas to put your opinion out there but a lot of people pussy foot around not saying what they really mean. If you don’t like something but 100 other people do then tell the world why! You don’t have to agree with others, just make sure you explain why you feel this way about it and make your opinion known. For example; you may disagree about the whole swearing thing, that’s fine, everyone has their opinion but it would be pretty hard to make it a substantial one if you can’t tell me why you think that! If it’s your own personal values then great! Tell me where these values come from, why you think its disrespectful or otherwise. Just because everyone else is singing from the same hymn sheet doesn’t mean you have to.
3. Putting my Foot in it – I am a serial offender when it comes to ‘putting my foot in it’ from moaning about dyslexia being a myth to people who are heavily dyslexic to offending people (read: one person) on facebook for asking if the special guy in ‘Of Mice and Men’ dies any time soon because he was getting on my nerves. It’s one of those things I just do, I speak/type before I think and deal with the consequences as they happen. You might wonder how is this acceptable or how is this ok? Well, I will tell you, for me it helps me to think on my feet. By initially making an ill thought out comment or saying something offensive without thinking at all I have to turn my brain on over drive to dig myself out of the hole I just put myself in. Immediately the charm defensive kicks in and before I know it my brain is WORKING. It’s like an sudden shot of juice works it’s way around and get my brain cells pumping again; kind of like a caffeine shot to your intelligence. I’m not saying go outside and call the first person you see a ‘donkey shagging mother bitch’ and see how quickly you can turn it around, I’m just saying if you do fuck up, don’t worry about it, just see how quickly you can turn it around! Don’t don’t dwell on shit you said without thinking, everyone does it.
4. Not Setting Goals – Setting yourself goals can be a pretty destructive process. Shit, by my age I should be a Head of Department in a local high school if my goal from when I was about 15 ever worked. But it didn’t because LIFE happened. It’s a good job I didn’t dwell on it and let my life just pan itself out without really thinking about it, because I ended up in another direction which I am completely happy with! You can’t predict the future, and I suppose this theory is more applicable dependant on how optimistic you are or how much you believe in fate. If you believe in fate then what happens will happen regardless of the goal, right? If you don’t meet your goal you’ve set yourself up for failure or you meet your goal then wonder what next… You set another goal and the process begins again. Not everybody needs a plan and don’t be jealous of those who do. I mean, what happens if your whole life is based around one main goal and you don’t succeed? Which direction do you go from there? This point is a bit confusing isn’t it? Basically don’t worry if you don’t know what the fuck is going on with your life.
5. Being Ignorant – I don’t mean I IGNORE people here, I mean I take a slightly more naive approach to things. Not everyone needs to know everything and when you learn about something you were ignorant to in the past isn’t it nice? I’m ignorant to many things, mainly because they infuriate me; things like Politics and The Sun newspaper. I don’t wish to acknowledge them in my life and when I do the first faux pas of swearing comes in to play quite a lot. A lot of people are quite passionate about certain things, I admire it but the thing they can be passionate about I’m more than likely to be ignorant of. Basically, if ignorance was bliss, on some topics I’d be euphoric.
*All these opinions are my own, if you have one, fucking share it! (but make sure you back it up haha)
Follow me on