Yankee Doodle Do

Another post mentioning candles. Yes candles are the new black, or red, or yellow, or whatever colour of these vibrant Yankee Candles you may choose. I really like Yankee Candles and do think they’re probably some of the most interesting scents around, and I particularly like how they come in their own fancy pants jars too! I don’t like commiting to just one big jar though and I can’t afford to buy more than one at a time either…. A great way to try Yankee Candles at a more purse friendly price is by getting your little paws on some of the samplers. They’re basically just smaller versions of the biggers ones but weigh in at a puny £1.80 each versus the £10+ commitment of the larger varieties. Here are a few of my favourites so far:
1. Vanilla Lime – a love light and fresh lime scent with a sweet undertone of creamy vanilla.
2. Black Cherry – Think black forest gateaux without the sickly sweet side.
3. Honey Spice – A nice little twist on the classic honey scent with a nice hint of clove and vanilla.
4. Mango Peach Salsa – Another really refreshing fragrance which is so fruity!
5. Red Velvet – This one can get a little sickly but it’s a lovely cakey smell with a hint of chocolate I thought!
What are you favourite scents to try? I really like either vanilla and nutty ones or refreshing fruity smells. I think the only Yankee Candle I’ve tried so far that I wasn’t keen on was the Vanilla Cupcake! Wayyyy to sickly and I’m currently sniffing the wonders of an apple air freshener one in my car!

1. November 5, 2012 / 7:56 pm

I really like their mango peach ones! I agree that it's better (and cheaper) to try out the smaller sample sizes rather than committing to a large jar. Clintons did a mammoth sale once where I got a pack of mango peach salsa tealights for a mere £3. BARGAIN!

• November 5, 2012 / 8:09 pm

The tealights are good value too I always thought! Only trouble is I've only seen them in packets which all have the same scent in, I'd love a variety multi pack!

2. November 5, 2012 / 6:10 pm

Red Velvet? How did I not know this existed until now. I'll have to have a smell of that.. lol. My favourite is a lemony scent, I can't remember the same but it's rather sweet smelling. I tend to just buy one Yankee candle in the spring/summer and then another at this time of year. I do however pick up a few smaller ones in the January sales, I find if I go to Card shops after Christmas they are always selling off their festive Yankee's 🙂

xo

• November 5, 2012 / 8:08 pm

Yes! god tip, that's the good thing about their seasonal ranges, that they get reduced woo!

3. November 5, 2012 / 2:23 pm

I think I might actually prefer Woodwick candles to Yankee ones, just bought a whole bunch of their halloween range on sale. Scaramal Apple is quite lovely with lots of cute ghosts on the jar.
    I am a bit strange when it comes to smells in that I like most things, I'm not a fan of 'fresh' smells. I dont want my entire house to smell like fresh laundry. But I love anything earthy, patchouli, oakmoss ect.
    I also love quite sweet smells, the new banana cake one by Yankee is particularly lovely.

• November 5, 2012 / 8:08 pm

I haven't heard of woodwick candles before, but they sound good! Patchouli is one of my favourite scents but in perfumes and stuff!

4. November 5, 2012 / 10:33 am

Oh I do fancy a black cherry one. I love Yankee candles, they are so pricey though, there's a shpo in town which sells them and I do go in to lust after them, but have to limit myself to only buying them when my current one has run out. Which it has done now, so I need a new scent..

• November 5, 2012 / 8:07 pm

Get some little ones you can try them ALL! Haha.

5. November 5, 2012 / 8:57 am

My favourite fruity fresh one would have to be Bahama Breeze, smells like pineapples and is light without being not there 🙂 x

• November 5, 2012 / 8:06 pm

I've not tried that one!

6. November 5, 2012 / 8:33 am

I like the little samplers, they are great in one of the burners and it gives you the chance to try lots of different scents as I get easily bored with just one candle smell.

Sampler tarts are around £1 each (often can be found much cheaper, for example Home Bargains had some in briefly last year at 29p!) and they last for about 8 hours (though I've had more from them than that!)

The other marvellous thing about the tarts is when the pooled wax is cool, pop the burner in the freezer for 5 minutes and the wax just pops out. Take the wax 'disc' and pop it in your undies draw. It still has a gentle scent that will freshen a drawer for months to come.

• November 5, 2012 / 8:06 pm

Oooh excellent tips there! I love the look of the tarts but don't have a burner thing!

7. November 5, 2012 / 2:28 am

I love using candles. I bet the black cherry and red velvet smalls really good.

• November 5, 2012 / 8:05 pm

They do!

8. November 5, 2012 / 12:02 am

I love Yankee candles, I just wish they weren't so expensive, can't justify the cost on a student budget! I love vanilla scented ones too, the vanilla lime one sounds lush xx

• November 5, 2012 / 8:05 pm

You kidding? If you think student budgets are hard try a post grad one!

• November 4, 2012 / 11:40 pm

It smells amazing! One of my very favourites, seen a lot of people loving it online too!