Mineral Oils ARE Bad Mmmkay?

It’s not very often that I take advice from ‘beauty guru’ types. Or people who preach about skin care, or people who are all snobbish when it comes to products and ingredients. Mineral Oils are such a product where people told me they were bad and I went and used them anyway. It all started when I bought the L’oreal Skin Perfection 15 Second Miracle Cleansing Oil a while ago (you can read that post here). I praised this SO much when I first discovered it – it removed make up so well and kept my spots at bay and I even mention in that first post some concerns over the use of Mineral Oils., but still continued to use it… Alas, a few months later I discovered why mineral oils were bad; despite my initial positive experience.
You’re probably wondering why I’m showing the picture of my manky bathroom wall with what appears to be a streak of something gross on it. That streak of grossness is the L’oreal Cleansing Oil. I cannot for the life of me get rid of it. I’ve tried everything. This to me, just demonstrated what this stuff does to your skin – it sits there and forms a layer. I know there are many reasons for and against using mineral oils and lot’s of technical hoo-har I have no idea about. But after using the cleanser for a few months I found that my pores had turned GREY. Like, actually grey. The reason for this is because the mineral oil was building up a layer on my skin which trapped crap within my pores. Whilst I didn’t get any more spots than usual  (maybe a few less) and my skin wasn’t dry or horrid in any other ways, the greyness of my pores was something I hadn’t experienced before. It also made my face quite shiny, meaning make up wouldn’t last as long as it usually would. Taking in to account the mess it’s left on my wall which cannot be cleaned off, I think the rest of this bottle is destined for the bin.

1. February 12, 2014 / 4:51 pm

Convinced! 'Scuse me while I check everything for this crap! x

• February 15, 2014 / 8:14 pm

I have definitely been much more aware of this stuff now! Saved me a few quid too when wanting to impulse buy!

2. February 6, 2014 / 8:05 pm

Oh no sounds horrid!

• February 15, 2014 / 8:14 pm

It is, blergh.

3. February 6, 2014 / 6:49 pm

Oh poo, I'm using this cleanser at the moment.

• February 15, 2014 / 8:14 pm

Well keep an eye on the pores on your nose and across your cheeks! That's where mine went a weird grey colour!

4. February 6, 2014 / 3:05 pm

" trapped crap within my pores " I love your technical wording

• February 15, 2014 / 8:13 pm

You also love me, don't deny it.

5. February 6, 2014 / 3:05 pm

I hear angels singing, Terri I could kiss you for binning this lol……in fairness no amount of preaching from me will change people's minds but the fact that you can't clean this off your wall just cements in my mind why I fight for natural skincare from my little preachy corner of the bloggersphere 😉

• February 15, 2014 / 8:13 pm

It has definitely made me much more aware, I can't believe how great it felt/was at first then a few weeks later it was so disgusting. Thankfully got my skin back on track now and it's the clearest it's ever been! Also forever checking lip balm ingredients now before I buy. Even the 50p ones haha. I saw a Sanctuary Spa one in Home Bargains thinking it would be nice and posh, but no, first ingredient was mineral oil!!

6. February 6, 2014 / 2:29 pm

Ew.. that's really gross! :/
    I am always dubious about using too many oils on the skin just because they just seem strange to me and now I feel slightly justified in that haha. xx

• February 15, 2014 / 8:11 pm

I love a lot of oils I've tried, like the Keihls midnight recovery and the DHC oil cleanser is nice, I'm usually a big big fan, but this was so horrible in the end.

7. February 6, 2014 / 2:01 pm

This will sound ridiculous…and please don't burn your house down but if you run an iron on a low setting over kitchen towels against your wall then wipe it should get it off. I vaguely remember the tip from Kim & Aggy on that house cleaning programme on a few years ago. (Although it was about cooking oil, but I assume it would work here also?)

So definitely not good for your skin then!! 🙂

Jen xx

• February 6, 2014 / 5:39 pm

kitchen towels they might catch fire? Maybe try the matt side of baking paper and a iron.

• February 15, 2014 / 8:11 pm

Oooh top tips ladies, thank you! I never thought of that but have removed candle wax from a carpet before with the ol' iron and kitchen towel trick so will give this a go!!