Harbour Bar, Scarborough

When I went on my little trip last week, I was shown around Scarborough by my Yorkshire friend, Mel. The weather wasn’t the greatest, but it was still good enough for ice cream and she took us to Scarborough’s famous Harbour Bar. We’d had a massive breakfast at Ox Pasture Hall in the morning, so I was still stuffed from that by the time we got there, so I chose to go for jelly. In my head jelly wouldn’t be as filling as ice cream, but by the end of it I felt prettttyyyyy sick. But in a good way. Harbour Bar has been open since 1945, and it’s such a novelty time warp when you go in. The waitresses behind the bar still wear the retro 50’s style uniforms, and the mirrored walls continue the whole vibe. There was so much to choose from on the menu, but luckily all three of us chose something different so I could pinch a bit of everyone’s. In the big head glass there was a delicious maple coffee milkshake float, and the banana split was amazinnnggg. I love how the dishes they serve each thing in is different. The prices were a bit on the expensive side, but it’s definitely worth a visit for the experience. I’m still intrigued by the ‘bovril and crackers’ on the drinks menu too!

After we stuffed ourselves silly with jelly and dairy goodness, we just pottered around on the beach and went for some coffee. As far as seaside towns go, Scarborough is probably up there with the nicest I’ve visited! It has a friendly feel to it with all the cheese you expect from the sea front shops, but without the dirty feeling of Blackpool or Newquay. The beach was clean, the arcades made your eyes bleed with all the lights, and there was a nice selection of little pubs to have an afternoon tipples and soak up the atmosphere too. I’ll definitely be heading back – despite the 3 hour drive!

1. September 29, 2014 / 8:17 am

Those sundaes look wonderful, obviously I'm completely jealous as I could never step foot in a place like that with my milk allergy but glad to see you enjoyed yourself 😀

• September 29, 2014 / 8:44 pm

They did some savoury foods too! But I bet they would have nasties in you couldn't have too 🙁 It's still a pretty place to look at though!

• September 29, 2014 / 8:45 pm

It was amazing! I loved how authentic is was and not just pretending to be retro like these new diners and stuff that keep popping up!

2. September 29, 2014 / 12:56 pm

I do love Scarborough, it's not far from where I live so it's lovely to take little day trips up there. Especially if you're into surfing! xx

Abby / Eärendil

• September 29, 2014 / 8:45 pm

I'm definitely heading back in the summer, I'm too much of a wimp to surf though!

3. September 29, 2014 / 1:54 pm

pretty much all my childhood holidays were to scarborough so I have such nice memories of the place – it was lovely to visit again recently and see a lot of the same places are still there!

• September 29, 2014 / 8:45 pm

Ah! I've never been before, I've clearly missed out.

4. September 29, 2014 / 8:41 pm

This is literally down the hill for me and I always look in (as I'm greedy and I want to eat ice cream everytime I walk past). If you ever come up you'll have to come into our pub for a tipple 😉 it's weird how you were so close to me yet I never saw you!

Danniella x

• September 29, 2014 / 8:46 pm

DO YOU LIVE IN THE CASTLE?! You'll have to befriend my friend Mel and hang out with me through her or something, haha.