The 90’s Revival

I originally took the pictures for this blog post as a bit of a LOL @ this whole 90’s vibe which is featuring on so many blogs lately. But alas, look how good I look AS the 90’s. In fact, the double bun is something I may actually do for real life now. Because I’m actually a million years older than I look, I do remember the 90’s fashions the first time round. I owned a neon orange lace two piece outfit which I never took off and was partial to a pair of black and white striped wedge shoes I used to steal from my Nan at the weekends. My nan was always and still is the most on trend person in my family and has rightly earned her title as ‘Glamour Nana’ time and time again.
So now this blog post has evolved like a champion Pokémon in to more of a trip down memory lane. A time before hair straighteners were a thing and where your cool points at school were earned by how many POGS you could sneak in to your rucksack before the school banned them. When crisps came with prizes in and your Monster Munch contained Tazo’s, and your cereal had reflective clip on things for your bike spokes. Your favourite character on TV was a toss up between Roland Rat and Bucky O’Hare and you used to be Gordan the Gophers number 1 fan. Staying up late to sneak a hilarious glance at Eurotrash and making up your own dance routines to Madonna on the The Tube. There was no internet to look up song lyrics so you would either have to keep stopping the tape player to write them down, or buy Smash Hits magazine to sing along. Me and my friends at school used to swap lyrics at school quite often, but the one which stands out is Stay Now by East 17. I wrote it on green paper with a blue scented gel pen.
The first tape I bought was the PF Project Featuring Ewan McGregor – Choose Life from the film Trainspotting, but I actually took it back to HMV a few hours later to buy a Tamagotchi instead. And that Tamagotchi soon died when I lost interest in favour of blue eyeshadow, over plucking my eyebrows, frosted lipstick, glitter hair spray and painting my nails with Constance Carroll nail varnish from the local discount store. There was no such thing as Primark when I was a kid, so we had to settle for the latest actual CHILDREN’S clothes from places like Ethel Austins and Martin’s. I tell you what, kids nowadays have no idea which side their bread is buttered when it comes to the clothes they can wear.
I remember my disdain at Fearne Cotton winning the competition to become a presenter on the Disney Club and how I refused to watch Diggit because she was on it just because I had a distinct bitterness that I wasn’t a TV presenter even though I was about 10.  The bitterness still remains until this day. Kids TV in the 90’s was by far the best, and I still don’t understand what children nowadays watch on Saturday mornings. Even just for the soundtracks.
So thanks for having me the 90’s. It was the best decade to be alive in. I guess. Actually no, I would have loved to be about in the 80’s instead. But I’m always torn between which subculture I would want to be a part of. Northern Soul is drawing me in at the moment, but I think I’ll always be a New Romantic at heart.
What’s the best memory of your childhood?
P.S My dress is from Forever 21 and was £15. But I can’t find it online.

1. September 14, 2014 / 3:42 pm

This post. I STILL don't like Fearne Cotton because of that. They had posters all round my school advertising that you had to be 14+ to audition for the presenter, and I was only 11, but my mum wouldn't let me do it. How unfair of her! And I used to do the old stop-the-tape-write-down-the-lyrics thing. Of course my tape was just one I'd made by recording the Pepsi Top 40 with Dr Fox, and I only recorded the songs I liked, so every song had the first 10 seconds missing while I'd jumped off my bed to press record as fast as possible. Kids these days… I pity them.

• September 14, 2014 / 9:58 pm

Hahahaah best comment ever. I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers the fearne cotton thing!

2. September 14, 2014 / 11:23 pm

First of all – that outfit and hair is awesome!

And secondly – OMG, I loved reading this and remembering stuff from the 90s! Wow!
    I remember losing my tamagotchi in a ball pond, and the closest thing to real make up what was in my barbie doll's spinning dress. Shoving tissue into tapes I didn't like to record my favourite songs straight from the radio, singing along to SMTV's pokerap and playing with REAL toys like barbie and polly pocket (not the internet and nintendos). The most high tech thing was a gameboy and I still think it's better than any crap we have now. Now we have sky tv, kids watch whatever they want, whenever they want – there's no designated children's tv time, and even with that, all my little brother and sister do are watch videos on youtube and facebook their friends. And then they want the latest toys which they'll spend 5 minutes playing with though they cost a whole days work to buy for them!
    It's a crazy world we live in now… 90s child forever ♥

CAT xo
    What Cat Says | BlogLovin'

3. September 15, 2014 / 12:44 pm

YES i love this. So upsetting that cereal doesn't come with presents anymore… And I had similar feelings about Fearne Cotton (If only I wasn't 8 then I'd have won that competition etc!) x

4. September 15, 2014 / 6:16 pm

The 90s was the best time to grow up ! I was partial to a pair of platform sneakers all spice girl style I also loved the jeans/skirt combo. Crimped hair was a must my mom was a hair dresser and I always felt so cool having my hair done! School talent shows comprised of being britney spears or b*witched and I always used to wear loads of hair mascara even back then I liked coloured hair!!

5. September 16, 2014 / 1:21 pm

Oh I had so many of those things on my bike wheels and had two Tazos which I thought were ace. I've never been a crisps girl, so I didnm't know where they'd come from. Def remember recording off the radio and hair mascara as well as glitter eye shadow. And those weird little hair spring things.

6. September 19, 2014 / 6:48 pm

This is just my childhood perfected, and I love it! Amazing post, and so happy I stumbled along your blog 🙂

Jemma xx

7. September 27, 2014 / 7:07 pm

Do you know what would be the icing in the cake? Six bright yellow streaks down your parting, a la ginger spice. I so wanted those!