Band Camp: Part One.

”What are you listening to?”
”Oh, you don’t look like you should listen to Slipknot”

– This is an actual conversation I had with a lad who used to do the same course as me at Uni. He was in to his ‘metal’ so, of course had to dress like he liked metal. This included bandana on his head, leather jacket, baggy jeans, studded belt and anything with skulls on. Not only did he channel his musical tastes in style, he also had to specialise in blacksmithing, because he was so metal and such. Whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with dressing in certain ways and acting in certain ways to reflect your musical interests, the thing I dislike is when people turn this in to musical snobbery. Like mate, I’ve had shits more metal than you. Just because I don’t wear a band T Shirt or all black, doesn’t mean I can’t listen to ‘alternative’ music.
This year, I want to talk a little bit more about music on my blog. Music is something which I have such an active interest and opinion in, yet rarely actually write anything about. I have such an eclectic music taste. From metal (not just Slipknot, that was just an example of a conversation I once had for a topical introduction to this blog post) to acoustic folk. I would never pigeon hole my musical tastes to one genre. This week I’ve bought 3 albums (yes, actual CD’s) from HMV which were; HAIM/Days Are Gone, Kanye West/My Dark Twisted Fantasy and Rise Against/Siren Song Of The Counterculture. – All perfect car music for my many journeys around the country (read: to and from work).
Moving forward for the blog and to deter myself from blogging about bloody lipstick, I’ll be doing a lot more posts about bands, gigs and playlists to keep my tiny brain and blog occupied. Obviously this idea is in it’s early stages and is yet to develop in to a plan as such. But considering that last year I went to Leeds Festival, V Festival, Sonsiphere and numerous other events, it’s a shame that I don’t actually log them properly to look back at in a few years and think about what a mint time I had. So if you like music blogs keep your eyes peeled. If you don’t soz ‘ard, I’ll still be writing about all the usual stuff alongside this too, so dunna worry.

1. January 12, 2015 / 6:38 pm

Playlists would be amazing, I use to listen to loads of alternative/indie music but am so totally out of loop now any recommendations would be great!

2. January 12, 2015 / 6:40 pm

Definitely going to crack out at least one a month I think! I'm looking forward to discovering more music again after spending so long out of the loop myself haha.

3. January 12, 2015 / 6:46 pm

Would love to read some posts about music. I hate that people think you have to be a "goth" to listen to certain music and are surprised when I tell them my very varied music tastes.

• January 12, 2015 / 6:51 pm

It can be really frustrating, especially when people who eat/sleep/breath a genre think no one else is worthy of listening to the same music?!

4. January 12, 2015 / 7:29 pm

I hate people who think just because you listen to a certain type of music means you have to wear the uniform, stupid!

• January 12, 2015 / 7:52 pm

Exactly. It's not the 80s any more where that was the only way to find people who liked the same music!

5. January 12, 2015 / 7:51 pm

I hate being pegged into a certain 'type'. I'm the head of music for my uni radio station so it's my job to be open to anything, yet I still get some people insisting I only listen to indie despite me previously telling them that's not the case!

• January 12, 2015 / 7:53 pm

That's a pretty cool thing to be head of! Jealous I never did anything like that when I was at uni!

6. January 12, 2015 / 10:57 pm

I get that loads as well – and then people are shocked when I stick a One Direction song on. I actually can't win! Rise Against are some of my faves, excellent choice there! I'm trying to cover music more as well and your music taste seems pretty fabulous, so I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say 🙂

• January 12, 2015 / 11:14 pm

Ahhhh rise against are so good! They're perfect live too.

7. January 13, 2015 / 10:22 pm

This is amazing! That Rise Against Album is one of my favourites! I once had a very similar conversation about Slipknot, apparently I'm too cute to listen to them which makes absolutely no sense to me at all!
    I can't wait for music posts!
    Kloe xx

• January 16, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Yay, thanks Kloe! I can't wait to get some more music posts going! glad to see people are commenting and liking the idea :):)